Mountain Top Removal
This is one of my all time favorite articles. Kim goes over, in-depth, what exactly Mountaintop Removal is, gives facts about it, goes over what you can do to take action, and offers different organizations that you can join. This article is full of pictures and videos regarding this matter, too.
Great read. I highly recommend it.
This is an article full of information regarding coal mining in the Appalachian region as well as information on the movie Coal Country.
It takes a very personal look at the impact of coal mining on the people in the region.
It also covers:
- Some of the “Power Scenes” in the movie Coal Country
- What you can do to take action
- Clean Coal Technology
- Some videos of the trailers of the movie and things like the Martin County Coal Sludge Spill
Coal in America
- Active Impounds
- How you can help
- Burning the Future; Coal in America information
- The Clean Coal Process and what it really is
- Massey Energy – Marsh Fork Elementary – Don Blankenship
- Maria Gunnoe winner of the 2009 Goldman Environmental Prize
- Power scenes from the movie
If I could pick only one article for you to read, this would be it.
This is an Article by Erik Reece which discusses the issues of Mountaintop Removal back in 2006. He speaks of Letcher County, KY which is where my son and I lived for the past seven almost eight years. I found this article fascinating because Erik speaks of a health study done by the Eastern Kentucky University and their alarming findings.
He was talking about Marsh Fork Elementary back in 2006. Bravo, Erik. Bravo.
This is really going on. I’ve said it before, people are getting poisoned. There is no doubt in my mind. I know this because I lived there, not because I read it.
Check it out. Very informative.
Underground Mine Fire – The Real Silent Hill
Ever heard of Centralia, PA?
- This is the town with the continuous underground mine fire.
- This is a town where toxic fumes rise from the earth as if dry ice is underneath.
- This is the town where roads can collapse at any given moment, and warning signs adorn the land.
This sounds unbelievable but it’s true.
This is a very cool article about the underground mine fire in Centralia, PA with photos and video.
Coal Fired Energy Plants and Their Impact
This is an article full of information regarding Coal Fired Energy Plants and their impact on people and the environment.
It goes over:
- The first Coal-Burning Power Plant
- Some of the Pollutants that Coal Energy Plants Emit
- How Coal Fired Power Stations work
- What Carbon is and the Carbon Cycle
- Carbon Capture
- Pollution Control devices
- The TVA Toxic Coal Sludge Spill in Tennessee
- Coal Transportation
- Global Warming
- What you can do to reduce Greenhouse Gases
- Old Dominion’s new power plant in St Paul, Virginia
AEPs 20 Million Dollar Buyout of Cheshire, OH
This is information on a 2002 buyout in which AEP purchased the town of Cheshire, Ohio for 20 million dollars. I found this information by accident and got a copy of a documentary that was done by Carey Murphy & Lea Prainsack, two women who went to Cheshire around the time of the buyout and documented a lot of it and the townsfolk.
It also has some information from Jeff Goodell’s book, Big Coal which is a wonderful read by the way.
Photo Public Domain